Saving energy doesn’t always take days of planning. There are many things you can do right now to start saving energy and reduce your energy on costs. (not listed in any particular order)
1. Setting Your Thermostat: Install a programmable thermostat compatible with your heating and cooling system. Make sure to set it comfortably low in the winter and comfortably high in the summer.
2. Lower Your Water Heater Temperature: Lower the thermostat on your hot water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Washing Clothes or Dishes: Follow the full load guideline. Never use the dishwasher or washing machine unless it houses a full load.
4. Using Power Strips: Plug your electronics into power strips. When turning off these electronics, power down using the power strip to prevent stand-by mode from drawing electricity unnecessarily.
5. Power Down Computers and Monitors: Turn off your computer and monitor when they are not being used. Contrary to popular beliefs, turning them on and off will not cause damage. If you are away from your computer at different intervals, make sure you have set the power save options.
6. Drying Dishes: Air-dry dishes rather than using the heated drying cycle.
7. Washing in Cold Water: Wash clothes in cold water. This not only reduces hot water usage, but it is better for your clothing as well.
8. Use Compact Fluorescent Lighting: Use compact fluorescent bulbs to light your home. Not only do these bulbs use less energy, but they last longer than traditional bulbs.
9. Take Showers: Take short showers instead of baths. The amount of water used, and heated is significantly less for a shower.
10. Hot water recirculation: Install a hot water recirculating system to your plumbing. Preferably one that is powered by eco friendly thermal convection, has a temperature controlled recirculating valve and easy installation requires no electricity to operate (no water pump required). There is no water waste with this type of system, and it also minimizes energy waste since it only re-circulates when the hot water at your faucet cools below your desired temperature, saves water and prevent pipe freezing.